1982 – The legendary match between Jerry ‘The King’ Lawler and comedian Andy Kaufman took place in Memphis, Tennessee. Lawler lost the match by disqualification after using his banner piledriver finisher. After the match he hit Kaufman with a second piledriver, resulting in the comedian leaving the ring in the stretcher. The match/angle generated enormous publicity for Lawler and the Memphis territory nationwide as the media and the general public believed the wrestler had assaulted the Taxi star resulting in genuine injury. As we now know, Lawler and Kaufman were working together the whole time to generate a story that would have the world guessing.
1992 – WrestleMania VIII took place at the Hoosier Dome in Indianapolis, Indiana in front of a crowd of 62,167 . The show was built around a double main event of Ric Flair vs. ‘Macho Man’ Randy Savage for the WWF Championship and Hulk Hogan facing Sid Justice in Hogan’s ‘retirement’ match.
Results were as follows:
- Shawn Michaels defeated El Matador.
- The Undertaker defeated Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts.
- Bret ‘Hitman’ Hart defeated ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper to win his second Intercontinental Championship.
- ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan, Sgt. Slaughter, The Big Boss Man & Virgil defeated The Nasty Boys, The Mountie and The Repo Man.
- ‘Macho Man’ Randy Savage defeated Ric Flair to win the WWF Championship.
- Tatanka defeated ‘The Model’ Rick Martel.
- The Natural Disasters (Earthquake and Typhoon) defeated Money Inc. (Ted DiBiase and IRS) by count out in a WWF Tag Team Championship match.
- ‘The Rocket’ Owen Hart defeated Skinner.
- Hulk Hogan defeated Sid Justice via disqualification after interference by Papa Shango. After the match, The Ultimate Warrior returned to the WWF for the first time since SummerSlam 1991 to make the save for Hogan.
1999 – WCW unveiled a new logo on that week’s edition of Nitro. It would be the final rebranding before their demise around two years later.
2009 – WrestleMania 25 took place at the Reliant Stadium in Houston, Texas with 72,744 fans in attendance. The show was built around a main event of Triple H vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship.
In full results:
- CM Punk won the Money In The Bank ladder match for the second year in a row in a match that also included Mark Henry, MVP Kane, Finlay, Shelton Benjamin, Christian and Kofi Kingston.
- Santina Marella (Santino in drag) won the Miss WrestleMania 25 Diva Battle Royal.
- Chris Jericho defeated ‘Superfly’ Jimmy Snuka, Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat and ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper in a 3 on 1 elimination match. The legends had Ric Flair and Mickey Rourke (Star of The Wrestler) in their corner.
- Matt Hardy defeated Jeff Hardy in an Extreme Rules match.
- Rey Mysterio defeated JBL in 21 seconds to win the Intercontinental Championship. After the match JBL ‘quit’ wrestling in embarrassment at the quick loss. In reality, this was a way to write JBL out of the company as John Layfield was once again retiring as an in-ring competitor.
- The Undertaker defeated Shawn Michaels in a match that many consider to be the greatest WrestleMania match in history.
- John Cena defeated Edge and The Big Show in a triple threat match to win the World Heavyweight Championship.
- Triple H retained the WWE Championship against Randy Orton.
2013 – Ring Of Honor’s ‘Supercard Of Honor VII’ took place at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. The main event saw Jay Briscoe defeat Kevin Steen to win the ROH World Championship.
2015 – The two main tag team championships in NJPW changed hands at ‘Invasion Attack!’, held at Sumo Hall in Tokyo, Japan. The first change saw Roppongi Vice (Baretta and Rocky Romero) win the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship from The Young Bucks. Later in the card, the night the IWGP Tag Team Championship changed hands when The Kingdom (Matt Taven and Michael Bennett) defeated Bullet Club (Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows).
2018 – At Evolve 102 in Kenner, Louisiana, Matt Riddle defeated Zack Sabre Jr. for the Evolve Title.
2019 – NXT held a critically acclaimed event, TakeOver: New York at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. In the main event Johnny Gargano won the vacant NXT Championship in an incredible 2 out of 3 falls victory over Adam Cole. Earlier in the night, WALTER ended Pete Dunne’s almost 2 year WWE UK Championship reign when he defeated the Brit in a brusing 25 minute encounter.
Notable Wrestling Birthdays:
- Dominik Mysterio (1997)
- Charlotte Flair (1986)
- Diamond Dallas Page (1956)
- Sika (1945)