Brendan Rodgers was highly praised for his run as Liverpool manager between 2012-2015 with his time in the dugout a key step in Liverpool’s reemergence as a Premier League giant under Jürgen Klopp, well seven years after departing the Merseyside club, Rodgers looks to have performed another masterstroke for ‘The Reds’
Sell on-clauses have become a key part of ongoing contract negotiations between clubs with the likes of Queens Park Rangers netting a healthy £7.8m in fees following Raheem Sterling’s £49m move from Liverpool to Manchester City in 2015.
This time it’s ‘The Reds’ turn to be on the profiting end of a well placed sell-on clause, as forgotten Rodger’s signing Allan Rodrigues de Souza known simply as Allan, looks set to depart Brazilian champions Atlético Mineiro following their title-winning season led by European household names in Chelsea’s Diego Costa and Porto’s Hulk.
Allan signed for Liverpool back in 2015 for a healthy £500,000 after impressing the club during the Frenz International Cup and due to work permit issues found himself on loan to Finland, Belgium, Germany, Cyprus and Brazil before being sold to Atlético Mineiro in January 2020 for £3.15m a hefty 530% increase on the fee initially paid for the midfielder back in 2015.
Liverpool sensibly inserted a reported 10% sell-on clause into Allan’s transfer to Atlético Mineiro meaning that should the Brazillian sell for above his reported market value of £5.4m [according to TransferMarkt] then Liverpool could net themselves well over £1m from a player than never made a single appearance for the club.
Liverpool has sell-on clauses reportedly in a range of players contracts, including:
- Luis Alberto (Lazio) – 30% sell-on clause
- Danny Ward (Leicester) – 20% sell-on clause
- Ryan Kent (Rangers) – 20% sell-on clause
- Danny Ings (Southampton) – 20% sell-on clause
- Rafa Camacho (Sporting CP) – 20% sell-on clause
- Allan Rodrigues (Atletico Mineiro) – 10% sell-on clause
- Bobby Duncan (Fiorentina) – 20% sell-on clause
- Rhian Brewster (Sheffield United) – 15% sell-on clause
- Ki-Jana Hoever (Wolves) – 15% sell-on clause
- Ovie Ejaria (Reading) – 20% sell-on clause
- Herbie Kane (Barnsley) – 15% sell-on clause
- Kamil Grabara (Copenhagen) – 20% sell-on clause
- Liam Millar (Basel) – 20% sell-on clause
Luis Alberto finds himself sitting with an eye-watering market value of £36m and has been linked on many occasions with £50m plus moves to the Premier League and with 30% of his fee set to go to the Anfield club, Liverpool will be looking to receive upwards of £15m from one of their most recognisable transfer flops.
Allan isn’t the only former Liverpool Brazilian making newsworthy moves in 2022, read all about Coutinho’s move to Aston Villa including the details of his contract.